MG Motor has started the deliveries of its recently launched compact SUV in different cities of the country. The company has given the first delivery to the customer of Chennai. The starting ex-showroom price of MG Astor has been kept at Rs. 9.78 lakh to Rs. 16.78 lakh. Aster has been launched in four variants including Style, Super, Smart, and Sharp. At the same time, it has been launched in five color options Spiced Orange, Aurora Silver, Glaze Red, Candy White and Stary Black. The popularity of Aster can be gauged from the fact that on October 21, within 20 minutes of the start of booking, five thousand bookings were received. The delivery of these vehicles will be done this year, which will start from November 1. This is the first car in this segment, which will feature Personal AI (Artificial Intelligence) Assistant enabled and Autonomous (Level-2) technology. If you are thinking of booking MG Astor, then we are telling about its features and shortcomings, rest of the decision is in your hands…
What Is Good
- Many such features have been given in MG Astor, which are not available in the cars of this segment. Such as the feature of Personal Artificial Intelligence. A talking robot is given on the dashboard, which talks to you with gestures. Not only can it tell you jokes, but it can also provide news and information from Wikipedia.
- Its top variant gets the feature of i-Smart technology, in which 80 connected car features have been given.
- The Autonomous Level 2 system is available in the Aster, in which 14 autonomous features have been given. Apart from the front, both the side radars have been fitted inside the rear bumper.
- Disc brakes have been given in both front and rear of MG Aster, along with 6 airbags, ISOFIX mounts, ESP, TPMS, Traction Control, Hill Descent Control for safety.
- It gets a large panoramic sunroof with heated ORVMs, which is only available on the top variant of the Creta.
- The interiors of the Aster will give you a completely premium feel. Made of artificial leather, the dual-tone sangria red theme is stunning in the interior. More and more soft touch material has been used on the dashboard.
- It gets a 1.3 liter petrol turbo engine, which generates the most powerful 140 bhp power and 220 Nm torque. This engine is mated to a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission.
What Did You Not Like?
- First of all, its look is quite attractive, but in appearance it looks like a crossover SUV, seeing it reminds of Nissan Kicks. Whereas Creta and Seltos give a very modern and fresh look.
- In the midsize SUV segment, the Aster has more dimensions than other cars, but its wheelbase is much less. Its wheelbase is 2585 mm, which is less than the Creta, Seltos. Due to which it lacks legroom. Although the three sit comfortably, the legspace is a bit low for the middle one.
- The turbo engine is offered only in the top variants Smart and Sharp, with an ex-showroom price of Rs 15.88 lakh to Rs 17.38 lakh.
- Apart from this, it gets the feature of a 6-speed automatic torque converter with the turbo engine, while the dual clutch transmission (DCT) also comes with the Creta and Seltos.
- Three steering modes are available in MG Astor, Urban, Normal and Dynamic, but there are no drive modes for fun-to-drive.
- The lower Style and Super variants get a rear parcel shelf, vanity mirrors for driver and co-driver and no headrest in the middle of the rear seats.
- The naturally aspirated engine gets a fuel tank capacity of 48 liters, while the turbo trim gets a fuel tank capacity of 45 liters.
- The feature of auto dimming iRVM is not available, whereas this feature is available in Creta and Seltos.
- Despite being such an expensive mid-size SUV, the option of ventilated seats has not been given in it, while this feature of Creta and Seltos is quite popular.
The Aster also does not have the wireless charging facility which is available in other vehicles in the segment.
- Paddle shifters are not available in the turbo-petrol variant of the MG Astor. Whereas, paddle shifters are available in the turbo petrol engines of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos.
Which Variant To Buy
- Customers who have a tight budget can go for the Smart variant, which comes with a host of features like Personal AI, Auto Headlamps, Cruise Control, Heated ORVMs, Tire Pressure Monitoring System and Digital The car’s Bluetooth technology is available. However, it does not come with a panoramic sunroof. But two engine options are available. Its ex-showroom price ranges from Rs 12.98 lakh to Rs 15.88 lakh.
- On the other hand, customers who are looking for the feature loaded variant can buy the recently launched Sharp (O) variant. It gets Level-2 Autonomous Technology with ADAS. In which features like Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking, Speed Assist, Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Prevention are available. Its ex-showroom price is Rs 17.38 lakh.
Warranty And AMC
- MG Motor India is offering a standard 3+3+3 warranty package on the Astor. This includes a three-year warranty for unlimited kilometres, three-year roadside assistance and three labor-free periodic services.
- The company is also offering an annual maintenance package that starts from around Rs 16,000.
- A buy-back program is also being offered on Astor. Under this, the vehicle owner can expect 60 per cent of the value of the car, while selling the car back, depending on the terms and conditions.
- With the MY MG Shield program, customers can also personalize their ownership package with warranty extensions and protect plans.